Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chapter 1 The Day My World Stopped Turning and Started Rolling

March 30, 1993 marks the day that my life turned on its ear. That morning as I was getting my day started, I ran a mile for the first time in months as I had been recovering from surgery and had been inactive. It was a cool damp morning, but the run was so invigorating that the elements were of no concern. My then husband, two children Ches 4 and Gabi 3), and I were living about an hours drive from his work, their part-time daycare, and my school. I was in my clinicals at Northeast Louisiana University for Radiologic Technology. I had just over a year before I graduated.

Typically, my cildren would stay with my mother while we were in Monroe for school and work, but my mother had a dentist appointment in Monroe, so the children were with me. We all left Oak Grove at the same time and when we reached a little intersection where you could turn or go straight and both routes took you to the same place; mom went one way and we went the other. The drive to Monroe from Oak Grove was all rural highways, and mostly substandard roads at that. On this partcular day there was an ever so slight mist in the air so the highways were damp, not saturated.

The kids were in the back seat of our small four-door car. I was in the passenger side studying. At my last glance at Ches and Gabi, they were buckled in and I had the automatic shoulder strap in place. At some point I remember my ex-husband making a sound. It was a deep, desperate sound that caught my immediate attention. I looked up in just enough time to see a white flash and try to turn to check on the kids. That's the last thing I remember as an able bodied, independent to a fault, twenty-four year old, young mother.

My next state of consciousness must have been only seconds later, because I heard a loud hissing noise. It was steam off the motors of the little white truck and our little black car that had just collided at a rate of about 55 miles per hour head on. I didn't hear my children crying (then), but I heard my husband moaning and laboring for breath. I think God must have somehow buffered my mind from everything going on around me, because I could not have helped anyone. I lay there, draped over that shoulder strap like a rag doll. The only things moving on me were my eyes and the rise and fall of my chest with shallow respirations. I was paralyzed.

That day marks the beginning of a road of discovery. I discovered just how vulnerable and fragile life is and how awesome and gracious God's power to overcome tragedies is. I'll be sharing God's power to overcome disabilities, mental anguish, abuse, divorce, drug addiction, and lonliness. So...stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Wow......I never knew any of these details-thank you for sharing so vividly. Isn't it something how me never forget any of those little details of the moments that change our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is powerful and needs to be told. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete