Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fine China or Cheap Ceramics

If I were having to describe myself in these terms, I'm definitely cheap ceramics. I had a ceramic shop once upon a time not long after I became a quadriplegic. I understand the process of taking "slip" (watered down clay) and turning it into a beautiful vase or eagle figurine by using preformed molds. It is a process. The shaped or molded clay must dry. The seams, ridges, and imperfections must be smoothed using sharp tools. The fragile figure could be easily damaged if placed in the wrong hands. I know this well. I delegated the "cleaning" of the different figures to others with steady hands. Being a quadriplegic, I do not have fine motor skills in my hands. I can paint. I can paint intricate details on faces of ceramics, but that is only after the clay figure has gone through the kiln.

The kiln is a special oven that reaches ridiculously high heat. It is the extreme heat (2200-2300 degrees) that causes the formed clay to harden to the bisque stage. Once the ceramics are "fired", they must not be taken out of the heat too soon or it can damage the integrity of the piece. You may be in the fire, but trust God to leave you there long enough to perfect your character to look like His. I know it is uncomfortable, but "For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow" James 1:3. I know that I am healed, but for now, I'm still riding around in my wheelchair. God, in His wisdom, has not removed me from the fire...and so, my faith and endurance are growing.

The imperfections in His creation are not from God's mistake or His negligence, but rather from the dawn of man. Adam and Eve brought on the imperfection, but God in His mercy and love for us will not leave us that way. Because of the Cross, He places us back on the potter's wheel. As a result of the Cross, I am fine china.

No comments:

Post a Comment