Monday, May 24, 2010

Psalm 143

Tug-of-war was one of my favorite school yard games as a child. I considered myself to have superhuman strength and apparently, for a girl, I was very strong. I was either the captain, or I was first pick. What was child's play has become a spiritual situation I have known all too well, just as David understood!

I thank God that He recorded David's life. In David's life, I am shown how real "life" problems and circumstances are not new to us, but more importantly they are not new to God. I have battled fear and depression as did David. As I read this Psalm, I recognized the beauty of David's language as he called out to his Lord for help while showing his humanness.

David understood from his heart that God was his source of help. It did not take away his depression, but he continually called out to God. He even lost hope. He said, "I am losing all hope; I am paralyzed with fear" Psalm 143:4. If you have been paralyzed in your spirit, you know the deep despair you are left with to struggle against. Being paralyzed physically has taught me the struggle of imprisonment. I am in a prison of my body. I cannot break free of my physical limitations, but I thank God that my body is not "who" I am. The physical bondage has given me great insight into the very real emotional and spiritual bondage we face in our anger, depression, and hopelessness.

Let our prayer be that of David's, "8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go for to you I lift up my soul. 12 In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant." (Psalm 143:8, 12).


**Edited and transferred

No comments:

Post a Comment